Proselytizers of Pop, Week 3

Happy Banned Books Week, everybody! I don't know about you, but it's one of my sincerest desires to write a book that will be placed on the Banned Books List.

Books
Kick Me: Adventures in Adolescence, by Paul Feig
The emotion you feel when you realize most of the gags on Freaks and Geeks actually happened to Paul Feig is something akin to pity mixed with mirth. Kick Me covers Paul's life from kindergarten through high school and holds a very high cringe factor. There's this one story where he finds a Nazi flag his father brought back from the war and I won't spoil it, but just know that it's classic. My only gripe was that the fifteen or so stories are all one-shots, so some of the characters get introduced multiple times. Instead of trying to forget everything about adolescence, Feig remembered every single, painful detail and is now using it for his own benefit. Paul is also co-producing Greg Daniel's new show and was recently grilled by The New York Times. It's a great interview--I suggest reading it even if you aren't a fan of his.

Rapunzel's Revenge, by Shannon Hale, Dean Hale, and Nathan Hale
You know how I worship Shannon Hale, New York Times bestselling author? Yeah, we're tight. (Seriously, she knows who I am, either because of the sparkling comments I leave on her blog or the fact I stalk her at signings. Hopefully both!) RR is a collaboration between Shannon and her husband. Nathan (no relation) provides the delicious illustrations to this re-telling of the Rapunzel story. It's a graphic novel, which is essentially a long comic book. Once you begin, it's easy to swallow up the story in no time at all (and it leaves you with that feeling of "wait, it's over?"). Everything about it screams clever. If you have kids (or likely nieces and nephews for most of you), you've got to give this as a gift.

Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist, by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
When I first picked it up, I was all, "Oh, this is a lot shorter than I thought it would be." In hindsight, that's actually a good thing. Nick & Norah is so intense and lusty that 180 pages is more than enough ground to cover the topic. There's no way I'd let really young teens read it and it's probably too explicit for most conservative types. From what I've seen of the previews, there was lots of liberty taken with the storyline. I'll go see the movie and all, but the book didn't live up to the hype.

Music

The Cars, Complete Greatest Hits
A couple of weeks ago, I had this epiphany that I really like The Cars. Based purely off the radio hits, I thought I'd look more into their past songs. They have a formula that worked for them, so I don't think I'll go more in depth with their anthology. In small doses, The Cars are lots of fun.

Dan In Real Life Soundtrack
One of the many things I loved about Dan in Real Life was the music. Sondre Lerche provides both instrumental and vocal tracks for one of the best soundtracks I've heard in the past year. You get the feeling that this is a man that understands romance and heartbreak. The strings are bold and the brass is understated--a refreshing change as it's usually the other way around. There's a cover of "Fever" by A Fine Frenzy that feels somewhat incongruously tucked in the middle, but otherwise it's all superb. The real treat was the duet by the always coy Regina Spektor and Sondre. I listen to most of my music from the library and this is one cd I plan on adding to my permanent collection.

The Watson Twins, Fire Songs
I was worried about Fire Songs because the divine Ms. Jenny Lewis wasn't helping out this time around (see: Rabbit Fur Coat). Don't worry, it's all good. And I mean all of it. The album is kind of like pop/indie/flamenco/The Cure/alt-country amazingness packed into eleven songs.

Movies
Ghost Town
I was so stoked to see this that I went on opening day. TOTALLY worth it. Ricky Gervais could carry the show by himself, but Greg Kinnear and Tea Leoni multiply the humor exponentially. And I don't even like Tea Leoni, so you know I'm not kidding. There was so much laughter packed into every minute that my stomach hurt just a little at the end. Also, my heart hurt from the few gripping and serious scenes. Apparently, this movie was painful but only in the best way. Every single kind of comedy is employed successfully. If I handed out ratings, I'd give Ghost Town four stars.

5 comments:

I'm re-reading Kick Me right now, and it is making me giggle like a crazy person as I'm trying to head off to sleep at night. I saw the article about Paul Feig in the NYT last weekend, and thought it was such an interesting coincidence that I happened to be reading the book at the time. Definitely put the book into more context...and who knew Paul Feig was so involved in so much awesome television and movie stuff?

Are you planning to go see Nick and Nora when it comes out? I haven't made up my mind.

October 1, 2008 at 10:17 AM  

Ooooh, I can't wait to read your banned book!! I love me some Ricky Gervais, and would love to see Ghost Town eventually, but it'll probably be a rental ;) Also, did you hear about Simon Pegg's weird attack on Ricky Gervais? Rude!

October 1, 2008 at 12:17 PM  

I'm so, so glad to hear that Ghost Town wasn't bad, bad, bad, because I kept worrying it would be. And I love that Gervais.

(I found you via 20-something bloggers...hi!)

October 2, 2008 at 8:40 AM  

I need to read Kick Me after reading your review of it. Freaks & Geeks was one of my fave shows ever. And I bet his book (since his experiences are so similar) is amazing.

Also, I loved Dan in Real Life for the soundtrack, too.

October 3, 2008 at 11:12 AM  

I LOVE the Dan in Real Life soundtrack. Particularly "My Hands Are Shaking" and "To Be Surprised".

October 4, 2008 at 5:14 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home